The Whitewater Preserve is a favorite spot for the entire family, offering hiking trails and a refreshing swimming hole. The preserve is completely free to use and is open daily, weather permitting, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Whitewater Preserve also offers guided hikes where you can learn about the area’s geology, ecology, flora and fauna, and watersheds. The area covers roughly 291 acres of scenic land.
Things to do in Whitewater Preserve
- Star Parties: Get up and close with the galaxies, planets, and moons that surround us with the San Bernardino Valley Amateur Astronomers.
- Bird Watching: The Whitewater Preserve area is home to roughly 220 bird species, best viewed in the early morning hours.
- Go Hiking: Whitewater Preserve is home to many trails that are fewer than four miles, making them great day excursions.
- Picnic: The Preserve is home to several great picnic spots. Pack up lunch for everyone and take your meal outside.
- Swimming hole: The Whitewater Preserve is famous for its swimming hole, which tends to get crowded during the summer months. Be mindful of closures or warnings in the area.
Getting to Whitewater Preserve
Take Interstate 10 north of Palm Springs to Whitewater Canyon Road. The Preserve is about 30 miles from the center of Palm Desert.
If you’re planning a trip to Palm Desert, we offer extensive guides to the area and the best things to do. Book your Palm Desert accommodations with us and have access to all the amenities at Shadow Mountain Resort.