Joshua Tree National Park is famously known for its unique desert landscape, which is comprised of two distinct desert ecosystems. The Mojave and Colorado deserts meet in this national park, which is home to an extensive system of trails for hikers, bikers, and climbers.
Joshua Tree is less than an hour from Palm Desert and offers recreation for all levels of experience. Drive through the park and it’ll take you about four hours to see most of the viewpoints or spend days on end exploring the rugged rock formations and Joshua trees.
Things to Do in Joshua Tree
- Arch Rock: A short hike to a picture-perfect arch.
- Off-roading: Joshua Tree is home to terrain only accessible by off-road vehicles, and it offers an excellent option to cover a lot of ground in a short period of time.
- Keys View: Look out over the Coachella Valley from this high viewpoint.
- Cholla Cactus Garden: Located at the southern end of the national park, the Cholla Cactus Garden features a flat, short loop trail through the unique desert garden.
- Star Gazing: Bring warm layers and find a roadside pull-off spot as far from light pollution as you can.
Getting to Joshua Tree National Park
From Palm Desert, you can take Interstate 10 directly to the park entrance off Cottonwood Springs.
If you’re planning a trip to Palm Desert, we have guides for things to do and must-visit attractions. Book your Palm Desert accommodations with us and have access to all the amenities at Shadow Mountain Resort.